Got that feeling of wanderlust, looking for exotic baby girl names to remind you of sun, sea, and sand?
Your baby’s name can take you back to far-off adventures, sunset beach walks, and unforgettable experiences in foreign lands.
(Video) The Poetry of Everyday Life: Reflections of an Urban Folklorist
So how about browsing our exotic girl names to find one that takes you back or connects to your heritage?
The word ‘exotic’ has two meanings ‒ “from another country” and “different or unusual”.
A quick note on cultural appropriation: acknowledging and respecting other cultures is a key part of our values here at Peanut. If you’re keen to use a name from a culture that doesn’t reflect your identity or heritage, that could be construed as cultural appropriation.
Cultural appropriation can be damaging to many groups of people, so if you’re unsure whether choosing an ‘exotic’ name is cultural appropriation, you can always reach out to someone from that cultural group to learn more and ask them how they feel about it.
In this article: 📝
- What’s a badass name for a girl?
- What is the rarest girl name?
- More exotic baby girl names
What’s a badass name for a girl?
Looking for something fierce, wild, and all-round badass for your baby girl, while keeping an exotic feel?
We’ve put together the best exotic girl names with badass meanings for you:
- Almeda: For the hardest-working little peanut, Almeda is a Latin exotic girl name for “ambitious”.
- Elmina: For the willful warrior, Elmina is one of the more exotic girl names meaning “helmet” or “protection” in German.
- Jabari: A musical-sounding but still one of the most badass exotic female names we’ve heard, meaning “brave” in Swahili.
- Kai: One of the shorter exotic baby girl names, Kai means “warrior” in Old German, as well as “sea” in Hawai’ian.
- Limbani: Looking for exotic names for girls to remind your little peanut of her inner strength? Limbani means “be strong”, from the Chewa people of Africa.
- Lyra: One of the exotic girl names that’s jumped up the baby name charts recently, due to the heroine Lyra in Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, now a TV series. Lyra also means “lyre of Orpheus” in Greek, and is the name of a constellation.
- Medora: How about Greek exotic girl’s names? For the baby girl who you know will rule over everyone! Medora means “ruler” in Greek. Can be shortened to Dora.
- Sasha: What better fierce exotic name for your baby girl than Sasha, meaning “defender” and also the alter-ego of Beyoncé ‒ Sasha Fierce.
- Serilda: A truly badass exotic girl’s name, from the German word for “battle armor”. Can be shortened to Rilda.
- Valentina: Romantic and strong, Valentina is one of the most exotic girl’s names meaning “brave” and “strong”. Val or Tina make sweet nicknames.
What is the rarest girl name?
A lot of exotic girl names are already rare, depending on where you are in the world.
But if you want something truly unique and exotic, check out this selection of exotic baby girl names that aren’t often found in the baby name charts:
- Aiya: (ah-yah) One of the sweetest exotic girl’s names, Aiya is a Hebrew name meaning “bird”.
- Bastina: Keen on cats? How about naming your little peanut after the Egyptian goddess of cats, sun, and fertility, Bast?
- Braulia: A name that was popular but has since become one of the rarest exotic girl names in the world, meaning “bright” or “radiant” in Spanish. Can be shortened to Lia.
- Daija: (dai-ha) If you want to name your baby in memory of a loved one, how about Daija, meaning “remembrance”, one of the rarest exotic Spanish girl names?
- Gamela: Another of the rare exotic names for girls, Gamela is an Arabic name meaning “earnest” or “honest”.
- Ifeoma: An exotic girl’s name that’s rarely seen outside of Nigeria, Ifeoma is an Igbo word for “first-born”.
- Jhazala: (jah-zah-lah) One of the rarest Indian exotic baby girl names, Jhazala means “gazelle”. Can be shortened to Jazz.
- Karasi: A musical-sounding exotic girl name meaning “life” or “wisdom”, and can be found across Africa, but is very rare outside of the continent.
- Manaia: (mah-nye-ah) One of very few Māori exotic names for girls on our list, Manaia was the name of the Māori god that travels between our world and the spirit plain.
- Mariquita: A name that’s been lost in time, Mariquita is of Latin origin, meaning “star of the sea”.
- Pragtige: (pra-h-tih-huh) Looking for something a little different? This is one of the rarest exotic baby girl names ‒ we haven’t found it anywhere else, so your little peanut might be the first! Pragtige is an exotic name meaning “beautiful” in Afrikaans.
- Ratana: For the baby girl with a twinkle in her eye, Ratana is a Thai name meaning “crystal”.
- Sigalit: One of the more uncommon Hebrew exotic girl names that we haven’t seen for a long time ‒ Sigalit means “violet flower”.
- Valdis: Looking for gothic exotic names for girls? Valdis could be the one, meaning “goddess of the dead” in Old Norse. Can be shortened to Val.
- Zaliki: A beautiful Egyptian exotic girl name meaning “nobility” or “well-born”. Can be shortened to Zali.
More exotic baby girl names
Exotic girl names evoke images of soft waves lapping against a shore, relaxing in warm sunlight, and feeling the sand between your toes…
If you’re looking for exotic female names for your little peanut, we’ve got you covered, complete with meanings:
- Aaliyah: Arabic, “exalted one”.
- Aba: African, “born on a Thursday”.
- Adelita: Spanish, “noble”. Can be shortened to Lita.
- Adina: (ah-deen-ah) Hebrew, “delicate”. Can be shortened to Dina.
- Akosia: African, “born on Sunday”.
- Alba: Spanish, “dawn”; Scottish Gaelic, “Scotland”; Latin, “white”.
- Alethea: Greek, “truth”.
- Alina: Slavic, “bright” or “beautiful”. Can be shortened to Lina.
- Alinafe: Chewa, “He is with us”.
- Allegra: Italian, “cheerful”.
- Altagracia: Spanish, “high grace”.
- Amara: Sanskrit, “grace”; Igbo, “immortal”; Mongolian, “peaceful”.
- Amaranta: Spanish, Italian, “flower”.
- Amaya or Amaia: Japanese, “the end”; Spanish, “mother city”.
- Amrita: Indian, “immortality”. Can be shortened to Rita.
- Anisa: Arabic, “friend”.
- Arafa: Swahili, “knowledgeable”.
- Arianna: Greek, “most holy” or “chaste”.
- Asmara: Indonesian, “love”.
- Avivah: Hebrew, “spring”.
- Azora: Spanish, “blue as the sky”.
- Basma: Arabic, “smile”.
- Bellita: Spanish, “little beauty” or “God’s promise”.
- Calithea or Kallithea: Greek, “beautiful”. Can be shortened to Thea.
- Calliope: Greek, “beautiful voice”.
- Carina: Latin, “beloved”.
- Carminia: Latin, “poem” or “song”.
- Catira: Spanish, Caribbean, “blonde”.
- Chabela: Spanish, “God is my oath”.
- Chantal: French, “stone”.
- Chiara: (kee-ah-rah) Italian, “bright” or “famous”.
- Corazon: Spanish, “heart”.
- Cordula: German, “heart”.
- Dalila: Swahili, “delicate” or “gentle”.
- Damara: Latin, “gentle”.
- Davitah: Hebrew, “cherished”.
- Devica: Sanskrit, “from God”.
- Dita: German, “fortune” or “riches”.
- Dubraska: Spanish, “oak grove”.
- Elandra: Aboriginal, “home by the sea”.
- Elaxi: Sanskrit, “she with bright eyes”.
- Elena: Spanish, German, Greek, Italian, “bright” or “torch”.
- Elitsa: (eh-leet-sah) Bulgarian, “little fir tree”.
- Elqenna: (ehl-ken-nah) Amharic, “superior”. Can be shortened to Kenna or Qenna.
- Esmaria: Spanish, “emerald”.
- Esperanza: Spanish, “hope”.
- Elvire: (ehl-veer) French, “truth”.
- Exótica: Spanish, “exotic”.
- Eydís: (eye-dis) Norse, “goddess of the island”.
- Fanaka: Swahili, “prosperous”.
- Femi: Yoruba, “God loves me”.
- Fitria: Indonesian, “pure” or “natural”.
- Freyde: (fray-duh) Yiddish, “joy”.
- Gaia: Greek, “goddess of the earth”.
- Gia: Italian, “gracious”.
- Giada: Italian, “jade”.
- Gidja: Aboriginal, “god of the moon”.
- Ginara: Italian, “God is gracious”.
- Ginevra: Italian, “white phantom”.
- Giulia, Giulietta, Juliet, or Julietta: Italian, English, “young”.
- Godiva: English, “gift from God”.
- Halina: Greek, “sunray”.
- Hermina: Spanish, “messenger”.
- Humiya: Japanese, “history”; Arabic, “red”.
- Huyen: Vietnamese, “jet black”.
- Ianthea: (yan-thee-ah) Greek, “violet flower”.
- Iara: (yah-rah) Arabic, “water bearer” or “little butterfly”.
- Ila: (eye-lah or ee-lah) Hindi, “earth” or “speech”; English, “island”; Inuit, “friend”; Hungarian, “joy”.
- Ilona: Finnish, “joy”; Hungarian, “queen of the fairies”.
- Imani: Swahili, “faith”.
- Ime: (ee-may) Nigerian, “patience”.
- Ines: Spanish, “chaste” or “virtuous”.
- Ishani: Sanskrit, “desire”.
- Isi: Chahta, “deer”. Can also be a shorter version of Isobel and Isadora.
- Isla: (eye-lah) Spanish, “island”.
- Iyabo: Yoruba, “like her mother”. Can be shortened to Iya.
- Jamala: Swahili, “friendly”.
- Janita: Spanish, “God is gracious”.
- Jocosa: English, “playful” or “joyous”.
- Johari: Swahili, “jewel”.
- Kabira: Arabic, “noble” or “great”.
- Kaimana: Hawai’ian, “diamond”.
- Kalina: Slavic, “flower”.
- Kamalei: Hawai’ian, “close to my heart”.
- Kamiko: Japanese, “little goddess”. Can be shortened to Kami or Miko.
- Kanani: Polynesian, “beautiful one”. Can be shortened to Nani.
- Kareemah: Arabic, “generous” or “giving”.
- Katka: Greek, “pure”.
- Katya: Greek, “pure”.
- Keilana: Polynesian, “glory” or “calm”.
- Keyara: Aboriginal, “cockatoo”.
- Khari: Swahili, “queenly” or “born ruler”.
- Kidist: (kih-dihs) Amharic, “blessed” or “blessed by God”.
- Kimeyah: Native American, “singing throat”.
- Kissa: Egyptian, “first-born daughter”.
- Lalita: Indian, “playful”.
- Layla, Laela, Leila, or Lailah: Hebrew, “born at night”.
- Leilani: Hawai’ian, “child of nobility” or “flowers from heaven”.
- Lilja: Icelandic, “lily”.
- Lilou: Catalan, French, “llily”.
- Lucia: Italian, “light”.
- Manara: Arabic, “light”.
- Marisol: Spanish, “sea and sun”.
- Maya or Maia: Sanskrit, “dream”; Hebrew, “water”; Hindu, “supernatural power”; Greek, “good mother”.
- Meira: Hebrew, “light”.
- Meital: Hebrew, “dewdrop”.
- Melesa: Greek, “bee” or “honey”.
- Mila: Slavic, “gracious” or “dear”.
- Milagros: Spanish, “miracle”.
- Nafuna: African, “born feet-first”.
- Naida: Greek, “water nymph”.
- Nandita: Sanskrit, “joy”.
- Nanea: Hawai’ian, “relax” or “peaceful”.
- Narissara: Thai, “smart woman”.
- Nava: Hebrew, “lovely”.
- Nehara: Hebrew, “light”.
- Neliah: African, “strong-willed”.
- Nevya: Spanish, “snow”.
- Nicte: (nik-teh) Mayan, “flower”.
- Njema: Swahili, “good”.
- Nudara: Arabic, “gold”.
- Nuria: Arabic, “bright”.
- Orana: Aboriginal, “welcome”.
- Oriana: Italian, “gold”.
- Otzara: Hebrew, “treasure”.
- Palesa: Lesotho (African), “flower”.
- Palladia: Greek, “wisdom”.
- Paradisa: Greek, “garden” or “paradise”.
- Parthena: Greek, “pure”.
- Rabiah: Arabic, “gentle wind”.
- Rohesia: Latin, “famous one”.
- Rosalba: Italian, “white rose”.
- Roselani: Hawai’ian, “heavenly rose”.
- Sabela: Spanish, “God is my oath”.
- Sadira: Persian, “lotus tree”.
- Safiyah: Swahili, “friend”.
- Saidah: Muslim, “happy” or “lucky”.
- Sarai: Hebrew, “princess”. 👑
- Shamira: Hebrew, “defender”.
- Shani: Hebrew, “scarlet” or “marvelous”.
- Shante: Sanskrit, “peaceful”.
- Shira: Hebrew, “singing”.
- Sofia: Greek, “wisdom”.
- Solange: French, “religious”.
- Soraya: Persian, “Pleiades constellation”.
- Sunniva: Norwegian, “gift from the Sun”.
- Tajia: Sanskrit, “crown”.
- Talia: Hebrew, “dew from God”.
- Tamika: Japanese, “child of the people”.
- Vasanta: Sanskrit, “spring”.
- Velora: Latin, “strong” or “healthy”.
- Vincenza: (vin-chen-zah) Italian, “to conquer”.
- Yara: Persian, “friend” or “helper”.
- Yente: Yiddish, “noble” or “royalty”.
- Yohana: Hebrew, “God is gracious”.
- Zada: Arabic, “fortunate” or “prosperous”.
- Ziva: Hebrew, “radiant” or “bright”.
- Zorana: Slavic, “dawn”.
So there you have it! The ultimate list of exotic girl’s names for your little peanut.
Don’t forget to share your favorite exotic girl names with the mamas of Peanut!
👶 More baby name ideas:
4 Letter Baby Girl Names (and Their Meanings)
47 Baby Names that Mean Moon
143 Victorian Baby Names with Meanings
264 Gothic Baby Girl Names for Your Little Raven
218 Beautiful Exotic Baby Names
82 Filipino Baby Girl Names
65 Brazilian Baby Girl Names With Meanings
93 Anime Baby Girl Names
48 Three-Letter Baby Girl Names
200+ Super Sweet Baby Girl Names
- Elowen 25.
- Eulalia 25.
- Verena 24.
- Elspeth 23.
- Cerys 22.
- Gioia 22.
- Rosita 22.
- Cosima 21.
Along with Athena and Luna, other mythological girl names in the US Top 1000 include Aurora, Daphne, Iris, Lilith, Maeve, Maia, Penelope, and Phoebe. Norse and Hindu mythology names are less common among American parents, but offer such beautiful choices as Indira, Priya, and Signy.What are rare but beautiful names? ›
- Annalise. A combination of the name Anna and Lise, this name is simple, pretty, and unique.
- Brigitta. This name is the German, Dutch, and Hungarian form of Bridget, but here, it seems to have a more feminine ring to it.
- Charmaine. ...
- Constance. ...
- Geneviève. ...
- Larisa. ...
- Lorelei. ...
The name Luxury is both a boy's name and a girl's name meaning "extravagance, opulence".What is the strongest female name? ›
- Ada – German meaning “noble”
- Alexandra – Greek meaning “she saves the warriors”
- Amira – Arabic meaning “commander”
- Athena – Greek meaning “wise”
- Bellatrix – Latin meaning “female warrior”
- Bree – Celtic meaning “strength”
- Briana – Irish meaning “strong and virtuous”
|Year||Rank 1||Rank 5|
Aaron: Hebrew — Enlightened. Aiden: Celtic — The sun god; fiery. Alexander: Greek — Defender of men. Amell: German — Power of an eagle. Amory: German — Leader; divine; brave; powerful.What is a meaningful name for a girl? ›
- Gabriella: Hebrew — Devoted to God.
- Grace: Latin: Goodness; generosity.
- Hannah: Hebrew — Favor; grace of God.
- Isabelle: Hebrew — God is my strength; devoted to God.
- Jocelyn: Latin — Happy; joyful.
- Kaitlyn: Greek — Pure.
- Kalila: Arabic — Heap of love.
- Layla: Egyptian — Dark beauty.
Inanna (Sumerian) - goddess of love, war, and fertility. Iris (Greek) - goddess of the rainbow and messenger to the gods. Irene (Greek) - goddess of peace. Isis (Egyptian) - goddess of life and magic.
Top 10 smartest girls names:
|Astri||Star; fair, beautiful goddess||Scandinavian|
|Astrid||Fair, beautiful goddess||Scandinavian|
|Aurora||Goddess of dawn||Latin|
- Aaron: Hebrew — Enlightened.
- Aiden: Celtic — The sun god; fiery.
- Alexander: Greek — Defender of men.
- Amell: German — Power of an eagle.
- Amory: German — Leader; divine; brave; powerful.
- Andrew: Greek — Strong; manly; courageous.
- Anthony: Latin — Priceless.
Fancy names are those elegant, sophisticated choices that have a posh, upscale feel. Fancy baby names are those that go beyond the merely long and elaborate. These names are rare, precious, almost too dressed-up for everyday use.What girl name means royalty? ›
Girl names that mean ruler or royal in the US Top 1000 include Aubrey, Mira, and Zara. Girl names that mean princess and names that mean queen include Sadie, Juno, Orla, and Queen itself.What is a vintage girl name? ›
Along with Ada and Iris, other retro names for girls in the US Top 200 include Alice, Arabella, Clara, Daisy, Esther, Josephine, Lydia, and Sadie. Unique vintage girl names on the rise include Cordelia, Imogen, Posey, and Susannah.What is a female goddess name? ›
|Name Latin / Greek Equivalent||Roman Goddess of|
|Juno / Hera||Female principle, protector of married women and birthing mothers|
|Minerva / Athena||Wisdom, handicrafts, intelligence. Later: war|
|Venus / Aphrodites||Love, beauty|
|Diana / Artemis||Woodlands, animals, feral life, birthing mothers|
|Binsa||A woman who is fearless.||Hindu|
|Conradina||Fearless, bold, never afraid, undaunted, valiant||Christianity|
|Emine||it means one who is fearless and courageous.||Islam|
- Lily. This English name is a symbol of innocence and purity, which is exactly how your tiny babe comes into the world. ...
- Leilani. A “heavenly flower” from Hawaii, Leilani is a sweet name for the baby girl you love. ...
- Marguerite. ...
- Fleur or Fflur. ...
- Azalea. ...
- Alyssa. ...
- Jasmine/Yasmin. ...
Top 100 baby names of 2022.
Cute modern girl names
You could keep the whole name light and spunky like this: Lacey Belle, Macie Roux, Piper Quinn, Sophie Rose. Or, you could pair one of these cutesy names with a “serious” middle name like this: Rylee Remington, Millie Lennox, Kylie James, Mazie Emerson.
- Sara and Daniel. Sara: 18 models. ...
- Caroline, Hannah, and John. Caroline and Hannah: 14 models. ...
- Laura, Lily, Daniela, and Michael. Laura, Lily, Daniela: 12 models. ...
- Julia and Ben. ...
- Maria, Grace, Olivia, Sasha, Barbra, James, Nick, and Matthew. ...
- Lucas. ...
The French baby girl names Mireille, Marvel and Marvella all mean “miracle,” while Mireya is a Spanish name that means “miracle.” Micaela and Mikelle are both English names that mean “gift from God,” while Mirabelle is a French name that means “of incredible beauty.” We also love the names Bea, Gwyneth, Annie, Sachi, ...What is a divine name? ›
There are many titles for the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible, but only one personal name: יהוה (hereafter YHWH), the four-letter name also known as the tetragrammaton or divine name. 1.What name means fighter for a girl? ›
Other classic girl names meaning warrior include Cassandra, Bathilde, and Nakoma.Which name means God's gift? ›
Jonathan. He was a prince of great strength in the Bible. His name means "gift from God."Who is the powerful female god? ›
Shakti is one of the most powerful Hindu goddesses. She is even referred to as “The Great Divine Mother.” She is illustrated colorfully in art. She has multiple arms and their power in numbers is believed to hold a great force over humans.What name means daughter of God? ›
Baby Girl Name: Bithiah. Meaning: Daughter of God. Origin: Hebrew.
|Doris||From Doris; gift||Greek|
- Adira. This is the feminine version of the name Adir, which is a Hebrew name meaning strong, courageous, mighty. ...
- Alcmene. An ancient Greek name, Alcmene, is derived from two words meaning strength and wrath. ...
- Alessia. ...
- Alexia. ...
- Aluma. ...
- Andricia. ...
- Audrey. ...
- Abhaya: Fearless.
- Akshita: Wonder girl.
- Ambar: The sky.
- Amrita: Spiritual holy water.
- Avantika: Queen.
- Dhara: Constant flow.
- Divya: Divine.
- Jyotsna: Radiant like flames.
- of 20. Emma. Emma has been the top name in the United States for four years, according to the Social Security database. ...
- of 20. Olivia. ...
- of 20. Alexandra. ...
- of 20. Chrissy. ...
- of 20. Isabella. ...
- of 20. Ava. ...
- of 20. Charlotte. ...
- of 20. Amelia.
Along with Esme and Amara, other top girl names that mean love include Mila, Amy, Amanda, Mabel, and Philippa. Top boy names that mean love include Rhys, Philip, Lev, and Hart. Names that mean love or beloved in languages other than English include Carys, Querida, Rudo, and Sajan.What is a baddie name for a girl? ›
Some strong sassy girl names include Harley, Harlow, Alexa, Blair and Diana. One-syllable and two-syllable names make particularly good sassy names for girls as they're punchy and roll off the tongue easily.What is a warrior girl name? ›
Other classic girl names meaning warrior include Cassandra, Bathilde, and Nakoma.